Submitting a SORF application does not automatically imply funding will be allocated toward your request. The SORF Board reviews funding requests and determines whether or not the event, activity, or purchase is compliant with set Guidelines and Restrictions. If the request meets the criteria, SORF applies their Standards for funding and makes recommendations to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs on the allocation of funds. Funding is not officially granted until the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs gives final approval. Any commitments made by the organization prior to final approval are at the risk of the organization.
With over 1,000 RSOs on campus, the amount of money requested from SORF exceeds available funding. This constraint prevents the SORF Board from funding requests in full. Organizations must be able to contribute financial resources and not rely solely on SORF funding. SORF provides financial assistance to cover a portion, percent, or flat amount toward of the cost of a program, activity, or purchase. SORF does not provide 100% of any cost, therefore registered organizations are responsible for costs not covered by SORF.
The 10-step process below outlines the funding process. It includes everything from applying to accessing your SORF allocation.
- SORF application is submitted by RSO treasurer to request funding. It is the responsibility of your organization to clearly and thoroughly explain your request on the application.
- Application is pre-reviewed by a student member of the SORF Board. The Board member contacts RSO treasurer for clarification of the application as needed. These inquires will be made via treasurer’s University email account. It is the responsibility of the treasurer to respond to inquiries in a timely manner. Failure to respond may negatively impact SORF’s funding decision.
- Application is presented by the pre-reviewer to the entire SORF Board at the allocation meeting, along with their recommended funding decision. With prior arrangement, the treasurer may present more information/clarify their application at the beginning of the allocation meeting.
- The SORF Board votes whether or not to fund the request. The Board may choose to fund the total request, reduce the amount requested, deny any or all parts of the request, and/or place specific restrictions on funding based on their Guidelines, Restrictions, and/or Standards.
Treasurer will be notified by an automatic email when the Board makes its suggested allocation. The allocation comments can be found in the application itself in CollegiateLink. Treasurers should allow emails from email@example.com so these emails are not unintentionally sent to junk. If this email is not received within 48 hours of the allocation meeting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- SORF’s recommendation with explanation is submitted to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
- Vice Chancellor reviews SORF’s recommendation, agreeing with or overturning SORF’s funding decision. Upon the Vice Chancellor’s review, the treasurer will be notified of their funding status via an automatic email from CollegiateLink. If this email is not received within 2 weeks of the allocation meeting, please email email@example.com.
- RSO treasurer submits completed packet to the Registered Organizations Office consisting of SORF Expenditure Request, Voucher, and supporting documentation including but not limited to proof of purchase, proof of payment, and proof of attendance by payee. Failure to submit documents within 60 days of the funded event/activity/purchase will result in forfeiture of SORF allocation.
Documentation Checklist to Access SORF Allocation
- Packet is reviewed and approval authorized for transfer of funds into the RSO account to be used for specified items/expenses granted by SORF.
- If amount not covered by SORF is to be paid by the RSO, OBFS will verify SORF allocation and current balance of funds available in RSO account to cover expenses before processing payment.
- Payment will not be processed if there are insufficient funds available in the RSO account to cover expenses. Checks will be mailed or picked up as indicated on the voucher. If payee is a student, the amount will be processed as a direct deposit into indicated account.